Additional costs in buying property in Spain
This page is an advisory page only and represents our understanding of the current legal and business situation. Advice and opinions expressed here should never be used as a replacement for professional advice.
Both parties will have to pay for their own professional services. Estate agent fees are normally paid by the vendor.
- Lawyers fee: Normally 1% of the purchase price plus IVA (VAT)
- Notary fees
- Registry fees: Depends on property value
- Transfer tax: Usually 6-8% of purchase price
- Plus valia tax: A type of municipal tax. This is usually small but can be significant. It should be paid by the vendor but very often the contracts stipulate that the purchaser will pay this.
- VAT is applicable for certain purchases, such as new builds or commercial purchases. Ask your lawyer whether VAT will apply to your purchase
If you intend to take out a mortgage there will be additional costs such as property valuation fees and arrangement fees. You can find more information on our mortgages page.
If you intend to bring your furniture from your home country, you will need to allow for removals costs. These can be significant.